Monday, March 22, 2010

A Quick & Unexpected Little Workout

I am a true believer that the only way to succeed at anything is through trial and error. This weekend definitely provided for some good trial... and error. A close friend asked to help out in making her first as I like to call it... "artist cake" or traditionally known as custom cake.


The plan: make a workout themed cake - two free weights, simple round cakes with holes in the middle using butter cream icing as the coating. The filling: German Chocolate, the recipient's favorite.

After a couple hours of work the cake was not coming out as she expected so I offered to take it home and take the cake up a couple notches.


The new plan: Still a workout themed cake, this time with one free weight and one dumbbell. The filling: German chocolate cake and frosting.


The problem: This was my second experience making a 3D cake. Because of the unexpected decision to make the cake and next day due date it was also the first time I've ever made a cake without a sketch. YIKES.


It all doesn't sound like the best combination, right? Well, in my mind when baking, there is no better time than to start learning than ... anytime. It took a couple hours but I made my first 3D ALL CAKE model of a dumbbell this weekend! I will be the first to admit that it was not my best work but as a wise woman told me this weekend " come on now, how pretty can you make a weight set?". It is, what it is, I tried my best and am very proud of my accomplishment this week (with the aid of my little helper).

So close your eyes...Voila here it is...



1 comment:

  1. aww YASMEEN this is better than anything I could ever make!!

    ReplyDelete